Historic Preservation Consulting
The Venerable Development team offers a one-stop consulting service for owners of historic commercial buildings looking to rehabilitate their properties. We provide comprehensive project development services, from pre-development planning through certificate of occupancy, and specialize in bringing substantial benefit to projects by utilizing Historic Tax Credits and New Markets Tax Credits.
With a background in architectural history and preservation planning, Jessica Engeman blends her love of historic buildings with financial expertise related to tax credits and other development incentives, helping make the rehabilitation of historic properties a feasible undertaking. In many cases, Jessica’s first course of action is to list a property in the National Register of Historic Places, which opens the door to numerous preservation-related financial incentives. One of Jessica’s key functions in the firm is overseeing the closing of Historic and New Market Tax Credit equity investments. She has secured over $35 million in HTC/NMTC debt and equity since 2005.
At Venerable, we take a holistic approach to our tax credit consulting services. Our team has the ability to don multiple hats as we interact with a variety of agencies and stakeholders. This runs the gamut from acting as liaison to the project architect and the State Historic Preservation Office during the design phase, to negotiating the partnership agreement and ancillary documents necessary for the tax credit investment. To read more about the comprehensive tax credits consulting services we offer, please click here.
In addition to our tax credit consulting, Venerable can also provide the following historic preservation services:
- Project feasibility analysis
- Historical research, determination of eligibility, and preparation of National Register nominations
- Land use review submittals and advisory services for local historic design review
- Applications to Oregon’s Special Assessment property tax program
- Section 106 and ORS 358.653 review and compliance submittals
- Preservation grant applications
- Survey and inventory of potential historic properties
- Securing redevelopment incentives from the Portland Development Commission and other sources
For more information, contact Jessica Engeman by email or call her directly at 503-943-6093.