- Development cost: $750,000
- Completion date: May, 2005
- VIEW PHOTO GALLERY
Since its construction in 1916, the 6,800 sq ft building has housed a grocery store or convenience market that served the Northeast Irvington neighborhood as it grew and prospered.
Venerable redeveloped the time-worn and under utilized Fifteenth Avenue Market, at 2526 NE 15th Avenue, to resemble its original style, Italian Renaissance Revival, popular in Portland in the early 1900s. Renamed Irvington Corner, the $750,000 renovation transformed the site into commercial spaces now leased to businesses that cater to neighborhood needs including an Italian geleteria, a wine and cheese shop and a health and wellness store with a yoga studio.
Irvington Corner was completely updated with all new structural, mechanical and electrical systems and seismic upgrades. The new façade, unified with a multi-colored hand stucco treatment and unique bronze trim, includes impressive seven foot glass storefronts with wood bi-fold doors and reed-glass transoms at each retail space. Each entire storefront opens onto generous sidewalks and slate-accented patios perfect for residents and visitors to meet and gather. Design features included high ceilings and the façade’s detailed pilaster, custom Eleek Inc. light fixtures and tweed fabric awnings.
Irvington Corner no longer resembles the grocery store owned and operated by the late George LoPiparo, Sr. for over 50 years. It was known by various names, including LoPiparo’s Thriftway, Fifteenth Avenue Thriftway and 15th Avenue Market, until it closed in 2004.
Venerable entered into a lease-purchase agreement with the LoPiparo Family to redevelop and offer the commercial spaces for lease. The goal of the remodeled building was to make the site new and improved by highlighting the historic look but add modern appeal. A survey of the neighborhood showed a demand for closer, more accessible commercial businesses and services, with a building well-suited to the area’s traditional building styles. The design is oriented for easier and more convenient access for pedestrians and bicycles.
The property’s amenities blend with the design reminiscent of the original building’s Italian Renaissance style. This style was commonly seen on large-scale public buildings. The original 1916 structure was built to blend into the neighborhood, incorporating classical elements such as columns, cornices and a symmetrical façade. Irvington Corner incorporates some of these elements including a flat roof with a suggestion of parapets and cornices and an open palazzo feel, all in proportion and scale to the surrounding homes.
Irvington Corner exemplifies successful redevelopment in addition to offering the only commercial center in this distinctive, historic residential district of the city.