Ladd Carriage House

  • Project Info
  • Completed May, 2009
  • Cost for shell & core renovation--$2.17 million

Location

SW Broadway & Columbia
Portland, OR


View Larger Map

Downtown Portland

The preservation and redevelopment of the Carriage House was a major accomplishment. Venerable Development was hired to bring this Portland landmark back to life. It wasn’t easy. The challenge began with the logistics involved in moving the historic property in order to construct an apartment tower next door and a parking facility underneath. Then the building had to be moved back to its previous location.

Ladd Carriage House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for over 25 years, but when it was moved, it was removed. Venerable reapplied and the historic property was re-listed.

Ladd Carriage HouseBuilt in 1883 by William Sargeant Ladd, Portland’s 4th mayor and a leading businessman, the Carriage House is the last remaining building associated with the once-expansive Ladd estate. He built has stable directly across SW Broadway from his mansion, which was demolished and replaced with the Oregonian’s building in 1948.

Work accomplished on the shell and core included saving 25 of the original 66 windows and replacing the rest with replicas; repairing and replacing the intricate exterior designs; developing a new paint scheme to highlight the architectural variety and yet retain the “stable-like feel” and restoring the original height of the hay loft.